Volunteer Opportunities with The Dream Team
Volunteers are the heart of what we do. We rely on the expertise of our community and we invite you to join us in making a difference for our community. Please check in with us often for volunteer opportunities and, if you don’t see a position posted yet you still want to contribute, we encourage you to contact us at anytime to see how you can join our amazing team.
Content Marketing, Social Media & PR Intern Volunteer Position
The Dream Team is seeking qualified candidates for 2 communications intern positions in our Bloor West location. The chosen candidates will divide the tasks and work as a team along our Social Media coordinator.
The Dream Team is a group of psychiatric consumer/survivors who advocate for supportive housing in Ontario for people living with mental health and/or addictions issues.
We are looking for passionate advocates of supportive housing, mental health and addition issues who are social-media obsessed, knowledgeable around publicity and who is a promotions genius to help us design, execute and drive innovation for our social media and content strategy. We hope to find a professional employee who has enthusiasm for a wide array of channels and is well-versed in social media vocabulary, tools, processes, analytics, emerging trends and best practices.
This role is perfect for a college student looking to expand their social communication and media outreach skills. Learn how to write compelling copy, execute public relations campaigns and implement long-term marketing plans.
• Assist in managing the implementation and administration of social media strategies across multiple platforms
• Writing relevant and engaging articles
• Be the blog gatekeeper, reviewing and publishing content from other contributors
• Be a curator of content constantly looking for relevant stories to share about The Dream Team, supportive housing, mental health and addiction issues in the community
• Build relationships with bloggers and social media influencers
• Help develop and implement public relations campaigns
• Monitor social media success via various analytical tools
• Other tasks may be required to be completed as various events are taking place
• Strong writing skills
• Must possess creativity and demonstrate self immersion in social media
• Most work will be done virtually but candidate must be local to Toronto area and have the ability to meet with the Social Media coordinator 1X by-weekly for one hour
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Functional knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and other office programs
• Understanding of the non-profit sector and experience managing social media in the past a plus
• Ability to commit to a minimum of 15 to 20 hours per month while making your own schedule
• Students strongly preferred
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume to the firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following samples:
- 3 recent writing samples – no need to write anything new. These can be anything from in-depth blog posts to old class papers, as long as you provide us with a body of work that gives us a sense of your ability as a writer (materials on nonrpfit sector or current events a plus, but not required).
- 3 Social media samples – Links to 3 of your posts on a social media platform. These can be either personal posts, or posts authored for a school club or previous job/internship, as long as it provides a sense of your voice on social media. Examples might include (but are not limited to):
- A witty Tweet that you’re particularly proud of;
- A Facebook page you admin or post content to;
- A video you’ve posted to YouTube or Vimeo.
Don’t have experience with everything on this list? Don’t panic — We’ll teach you what you don’t know as we are sure you will teach us a few things too!
The chosen candidates will be required to invest a minimum of 3 months with successful tasks completed before a letter of reference will be issued.